Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Shedding and Black Tea Rinses

Ever since I can remember, my hair was the kind that shedded....alot. And in the summer time it got even worse. All this time I thought it was something normal, but once I started watching youtube videos and seeing that alot of people were only losing a couple of strands on wash day, compared to literally the mound of hair I had at the end of my wash day had me worried. Having thick hair, like Ive said before, is so important to me, even more than length. So I did some research and of course my beloved Long Hair Care Forum there were many posts about Black Tea rinses. Heres one that I found...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312901

The testimonials were all positive. Even one of my hairpsirations Traycee from K.I.S.S. said that she started using Black Tea rinses in her regimen and the shedding has gotten so much better.


Basically how the rinse works is that Black tea has a very high percentage of caffeine, and the caffeine helps block DHT in your hair. DHT is a hormone that causes hair loss and shedding. Over time, with continued use of the black tea, hair should thicken, shedding slows dramatically, hair becomes stronger, and darker (yes it will darken your hair). Also black tea is known to stimulate growth. I have been doing the black tea rinse for 1 month and I absolutely love them. They are a permanent part of my reggie.

I use about 1 cup of water and brew 4 tea bags, for a couple of hours to overnight. Then I put the tea in an applicator bottle. Once Im done washing my hair I apply the tea to my scalp and let the remainder run down the length of my hair. I put on  a plastic cap and let it sit for about 20 mins. After this I dont rinse out, I just out my DC on top of that and DC as usual. After about 1 hr then I rinse everything. I do the black tea rinse before the DC because it does have a tendency to make your hair hard, like a protein treatment, so its a good idea to DC after to soften the hair back.

 Before: wash day - no  black tea rinses



After: wash day -  4 weeks of black tea rinses

1 comment: